Fabrice Grinda is the Founding Partner @ FJ Labs, with over 700 investments, Fabrice has had over 250 exits and built a portfolio including Alibaba, Coupang, Airbnb, Instacart, Flexport, and Delivery Hero, and many more. Prior to FJ Labs, Fabrice served as CEO for three multinational companies; including OLX, one of the largest websites in the world with over 300 million unique visitors per month. As a result of his incredible investing success, Fabrice was named the #1 Angel Investor in the world by Forbes.
In Today's Episode with Fabrice Grinda:
1.) Everything Great Starts Small:
- How did Fabrice make his way into the world of investing from founding 3 companies?
- How does Fabrice feel about founders raising funds with external LPs?
- Why does Fabrice feel that investing as an angel made him a better CEO?
2.) WTF is Going On: The Market Today
- How does Fabrice assess what is happening in the market today?
- What is causing the massive public market drops we are seeing?
- How do inflation rates and interest rates have such an impact on where we are?
- How much of this is a result of COVID, the shift to goods from services and supply chains?
3.) The Optimistic Case:
- How does Fabrice think things could get better from here? What needs to happen?
- What could the Fed do to enable this optimistic outcome to take place?
- What would need to happen in geo-politics and Russia for this to happen?
- What is the probability today of this optimistic case happening?
4.) The Great Stagnation:
- How does Fabrice think the economy could go sideways from here?
- What are the core drivers of this?
- Why is this the most likely outcome of all? What is the probability of this happening?
5.) The Catastrophe:
- How could this market get so much worse?
- What level of interest rate change would cause this outcome to occur?
- Why does Fabrice think that Switzerland is a "House of Cards"? What would this mean if Switzerland fell? What other European countries does Fabrice think are vulnerable?
6.) What this Means for Venture:
- How will LPs respond to these differing situations?
- How does this impact how Fabrice thinks about his rate of deployment?
- What segment of the market is Fabrice most excited for; early or growth?
Mentioned in Today's Episode with Fabrice Grinda:
Fabrice's Favourite Book: Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind