Simon Sinek is an optimist and author, as we discuss in the show today. Simon is best known for his TED Talk on the concept of WHY (62M views), and his video on millennials in the workplace (80M views in 7 days). Simon is also a bestselling author including global bestseller Start with WHY, Leaders Eat Last and The Infinite Game. In addition, Simon is the founder of The Optimism Company, a leadership learning and development company, and he publishes other inspiring thinkers and doers through his publishing partnership with Penguin Random House called Optimism Press.
In Today's Discussion with Simon Sinek We Discuss:
1. The Makings of Simon Sinek:
- In what ways does Simon believe that his parents and upbringing shaped who he is today?
- What does Simon want to be when he grows up?
- What was the catalytic moment to the "Simon Sinek brand"? When was that big break moment?
- Simon has said before, "I define myself by who I am and not what I do". Is it wrong to define yourself by what you do?
- What do you do if you do not know who you are? What do you do if you do not like the answers to who you are?
- Is it possible to change who you are? What does that process look like?
- What is Simon's biggest advice to those looking to find a greater sense of self and identity?
- Does Simon start relationships with inherent trust and it is there to be lost or no trust and it is there to be gained over time?
- When has someone broken Simon's trust? How did it impact how he approaches trust today?
- In the case of cheating in a relationship, does Simon believe it is possible to regain trust over time?
- Simon has said before, "trust is built on telling the truth". Does it ever make sense or is even right to tell a little white lie in a relationship?
4. Creating Safe Spaces:
- How can we create safe spaces for our partners to be their full selves?
- Does this differ professionally and personally?
- What are the biggest mistakes people make in building safe spaces?
- What does great listening in a relationship mean? How can we do it better?
- Often people jump from listening to solution mode, is that wrong?
- Why does Simon have a rule of “no crying alone”. What does it do and how is it productive? When was the last time Simon cried?
6. Simon Sinek: AMA:
- What is success to you?
- Can one be “successful” and unhappy?
- What is the difference between happiness and joy?