Aloe Blacc is a GRAMMY nominee and the voice behind such hits as Wake Me Up, The Man, SOS, I Need A Dollar, and many more. Aloe has toured the world, won countless awards but his latest album, All Love Everything, is the singer-songwriter’s first collection of material written as a father. “Becoming a father made me want to share those experiences in music,” he says, admitting it’s a challenge to translate such a powerful thing into lyrics and melody. If that was not enough, Aloe is also an entrepreneur with the founding of his new company, something we discuss in the show today.
In Today's Discussion with Aloe Blacc:
1.) Entry into Music and Running From Fame:
- How Aloe first fell in love with music and made his foray into the world of music from Ernst & Young?
- Why does Aloe believe he is running from fame? What does it bring that he does not like?
- What does Aloe believe he is running towards? How has this changed?
2.) The Art of Storytelling:
- How does Aloe think about what it takes to be truly great at storytelling?
- What is the difference between a great vs an average story?
- How has his style of storytelling changed over time?
- What are the biggest mistakes that people make in storytelling?
3.) The Songwriting Process 101:
- What is Aloe's process for writing new songs?
- How does he take an idea and expand it, test it and execute against it?
- How did "Wake Me Up" with Avicci come about? What was the creation process there?
- What was it like working with Avicci? What did Aloe learn from him about being liked?
4.) Marriage, Fatherhood, and Global Stardom:
- What does Aloe believe is the key to truly successful marriages?
- How does Aloe retain a sense of romance with intense work pressures?
- How has becoming a father changed the way in which Aloe thinks and operates?
- What is Aloe's love language? How has doing this with his wife changed their relationship?