Thomas Tull is a leading entrepreneur and investor as the Founder, Chairman and CEO of Tulco, LLC. he has made notable investments in the likes of FIGS, Colossal, IL MAKIAGE, Pinterest, Zoox and Oculus Rift. Previously, Tull was the founder, CEO and Chairman of Legendary Entertainment, the film company that produced blockbusters including The Dark Knight trilogy, 300 and The Hangover franchise. Outside of his investment work, Thomas is a trustee of Carnegie Mellon University, Yellowstone Forever, the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, and the Smithsonian Institution. If that was not enough, Tull is also part of the ownership group of the Pittsburgh Steelers, the six-time Super Bowl champions.
In Today’s Episode with Thomas Tull You Will Learn:
1.) From Laundromats to Legendary Entertainment:
- How did Thomas first make his way into the world of business starting with laundromats?
- How did growing up without money impact Thomas' early mindset?
- What advice does Thomas give to young people today on starting their own business?
2.) Thomas Tull: The Investor:
- How does Thomas approach risk today? Where is the boundary of acceptable vs unacceptable risk?
- How does Thomas assess his own relationship to money? How has it changed over time?
- How does Thomas protect himself from people and occasions where one is being used for their money or status?
- To what extent does Thomas believe success is luck vs skill?
3.) Legendary Entertainment:
- How did Thomas make his way into the movie business with the founding of Legendary Entertainment?
- How did Thomas first meet Chris Nolan? What did the early days of making Batman Begins look like?
- What were some of the most memorable times from making 300 with Gerard Butler?
- What were some of the most challenging elements of scaling Legendary? With the benefit of hindsight, is there anything that Thomas would do differently?
4.) The Macro:
- Why does Thomas believe public markets are the least rational they have ever been?
- From geo politics to climate change, what is Thomas most worried about today in the world?
- What does Thomas believe we should focus on as positives moving forward? What should we be excited about?
Item’s Mentioned In Today’s Episode with Thomas Tull
Thomas' Favourite Book: Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
Thomas' Most Recent Investment: Colossal