Adam Fishman is one of the leading growth practitioners of the last decade. Most recently, Adam was the Chief Product and Growth Offer at Imperfect Foods, where Adam built a 40-person product and growth organization, responsible for 70% of overall company metrics and growing revenue by 400% in one year to $600M annually. Before Imperfect, Adam spent 4 years as VP of Product and Growth @ Patreon, driving the company pivot and rebrand and helping the company scale to $1BN GMV and $100M in revenue. Finally, before Patreon, Adam was the Head of Growth @ Lyft, Adam was the first growth and marketing employee hired, grew the team to 18 people, and reported directly to the founders.
In Today's Episode with Adam You Will Learn:
1.) Entry into Growth:
- How Adam first made his way into the world of growth when "growth" did not exist as a function?
- What were Adam's biggest lessons from leading Lyft's growth team? How did that impact his mindset?
- What are some of Adam's biggest takeaways from his time at Patreon? What are some of the biggest mistakes he made at Patreon?
2.) The Basics: Growth 101: What and When:
- How does Adam define "growth" today? What is it? What is it not?
- When is the right time to hire your first growth hires?
- Should this first hire be a seasoned growth leader or a more junior growth rep?
- What characteristics and skill sets should this growth hire have?
3.) The Hiring Process:
- How should founders structure the hiring process for their first growth hire?
- What 3 questions should all founders ask in the hiring process for growth?
- How can founders use data and case studies to really test the skillsets of growth candidates?
- Why does Adam believe that the hiring process for growth and product is so broken?
4.) The Onboarding Process:
- What is the right way to structure the onboarding process for new growth hires?
- How should growth hires create cross-functional relationships and communication with the rest of the team? What has worked for Adam in the past? What has not?
- What are the signs that are new growth hire is not working? How long should they be given?
- What are the signs that are a new growth hire is working? What is the sign of "exceptional"?
5.) Adam Fishman: AMA:
- What growth decision has Adam made without data? How did it go?
- How does Adam define "viral loops"? What makes one better than another? Where do so many make mistakes with viral loops?
- Adam led the rebrand for Patreon, what is the secret to a successful rebrand? What are some of the most common pitfalls to avoid?
Items Mentioned in Today's Episode with Adam Fishman
Adam's Favourite Book: First 90 Days, Critical Success Strategies for New Leaders at All Levels